Spring Cleaning with Norwex - Week 1

The list for week 1 of Spring Cleaning was:

-The Fridge
- Doors/Door Frames
- Stove
- Light Switches
-Windows

I decided to tackle them all through the week and then post about them all in one big post, since some of them are super simple and making a blog post about it seems a bit redundant.

Refrigerator 

This is a job I dread because I hate dealing with spoiled, smelly foods. I try to keep on top of it, but you know how that goes.

Start by removing everything from the fridge. Check labels and throw away what's expired. If you're really ambitious, you can make a plan to use up the things that are sneaking up on expiry in your meal plans. Make sure add the things you threw away (that you actually need) to your grocery list. If it expired unused, you might want to not bother with it again.

My fridge has shelves on the doors, which are removable. I took them all out and soaked them in water and a teaspoon of Ultra Power Plus detergent. If there was anything sticky on it, it came off nicely with my Enviro Cloth. Dry them off and hang them back up.



Next I took out the drawers. Pro tip - These aren't water tight in my fridge, and they're too big to fit in my sink. So, I hung them out over the side of the sink and filled them with water...only to quickly learn that they're not water tight by having water spill all over my floor. For some reason, these are always a mess for me. I scrubbed them with the hot water and Ultra Power Plus as well, and they cleaned up nicely. I dried them off but didn't put them back yet.



Finally, I went into the fridge with my bowl of hot water and Ultra Power Plus, and scrubbed it out with my Enviro Cloth, then dried it with my Dish Towel. I put the drawers back inside and then put all of the food back in. It feels really nice to open the fridge to have it clean and organized (for once)!



Doors & Door Frames

This one was rather tedious for me. I had no idea how many doors were in my house until I set out to wipe them all down. There are 25 doors. All white except the front door. I used 3 products for this. My Enviro Cloth, Ultra Power Plus, and Cleaning Paste. They all could have almost been done without the Cleaning Paste but you know those black scuff marks that show up on white walls all the time? Those come off with cleaning paste.

 

A little Ultra Power Plus with water in my spray bottle did the trick. The worst of it is usually around the doorknobs and if there are any lines to gather dust. There is pleanty of opportunity for dust in my house, since we have so many animals.

Light Switches

Honestly these weren't as bad as I expected. White light switches usually lead to dirty light switches but I must have wiped them down at some point recently because only a couple were really bad. The high traffic areas of the house like the bathroom, entry way, kitchen, and pantry were the worst.



I used the same thing for these. Ultra Power Plus in water and an Enviro Cloth. Easy Peasy!

Stovetop

This obviously needs to be cleaned more than once a year, but mine was getting pretty bad so I needed to tackle it sooner rather than later. For this, the Enviro Cloth and Cleaning Paste usually do the trick. If it's particularly bad, try an Envirosponge, or a SpiriSponge. If there are are some really burned on messes, I use a razor.




Windows

Last but definitely not least, windows. If you've ever seen my house,  you'd know this isn't a small task.


Try and take a photo of the windows and get a willing model hahaha!

For my windows, I first wipe them down with a wet enviro cloth and then polish with the window cloth, especially if there are animal nose prints, hand prints, paw prints, or whatnot on them. It leaves them sparkling every time, and no need for any harsh chemicals.


Week 2 Challenge!

Next week, I'm going to cover these:

-Microwave
-Dishwasher
-Baseboards
-Backsplash

I'll try and get the post up earlier in the week, I had to rewrite this one twice as it disappeared somewhere into cyperspace!


Comments