Hungry For Change

I'm linking up again for Weigh In Wednesdays! Go check out the other blogs that are linked up! Lots of people are on the same journey to a healthier self!

Ok, so I watched this movie last week, and I created a post about it, but I only write in the title. I didn't really know what to write. Or how I felt about the whole thing.




The movie, Hungry For Change, is available to watch on Netflix. It's quite interesting, I recommend you check it out, if you're curious. The description reads this:

"This documentary exposes secrets the diet, weight loss and food industries don't want consumers to know about: deceptive strategies designed to keep you coming back for more. Find out what's keeping people from having the body and health they want."

Basically, the whole thing is about how much sugar the North American population consumes now, and how completely and utterly unhealthy it really is.

There is quite a lot in there about how sugar is hidden in basically everything you buy, including bread, spaghetti sauce, milk, etc. Even the things you don't think it would be in. It can be hidden under many different names, but it's there.

It talks about high fructose corn syrup, and how it's basically just a super concentrated sugar, and how badly refined and terrible it is for you.

In the film, there are a few people who tell their stories about how they addicted to food/sugar and one girl says she would actually dig through the trash to find food she threw away. This has me sort of wondering, really. Did this woman decide to go on a diet, and throw away all her bad foods, only to dig them back out again later? Or did she really dig out a half eaten candy bar? I'm kind of skeptical about this part.

It did talk about how sugar is a drug and we're totally addicted. That we would never give our children a cigarette or alcohol but we feed them sugar all the time and think nothing of it. I agree that sugar is addictive, obviously, or our society wouldn't be in the state it's currently in!

It talks quite a lot about how people changed their lives around and lost a ton a weight and got healthy just by eating healthy things (fruit, veggies, lean meats, etc). All I can really say about this part is, duh! If you eat only natural, organic things, of COURSE you're going to lose weight and be healthy! That's what's wrong with us in the first place! We've decided somewhere along the line that a 100 cal bag of cookies is better than 100 cal of banana. The film does state that people are consuming more and more food but they're actually nutritionally starving to death. I would have to agree with that part completely.

It referenced this article from Time Magazine which shows photos of families with their groceries for 1 week. All I can say is, I'm glad I don't live near any fast food places, because even the families that had super healthy looking foods had a couple burgers and fries in their pile.

Then, towards the end of the film, it turned into a ridiculous juicer commercial. Yes, I get it, it's hard to eat all the fruits/veggies you're supposed to in a day, so why not juice them!? Good land. It was a good documentary until that happened. I was totally over it by then.

So, overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie, but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, just reinforced it. I'm probably not going to turn paleo anytime soon, but maybe that's just the sugar addiction talking! ;) I'm also not going to go out and buy myself a juicer any time soon. I like eating my fruits and veggies in normal form thank you very much.

Also, it really bums me out that we have crap for produce selection at our grocery store. Not much I hate worse than getting home with a container of lettuce and having it rotten on the inside, where you can't see. GRRRR!!! AND we pay MORE for it! It's almost worth it to travel to the mainland, if it wasn't such a pain in the rear!!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I wanted to do a little update from last week. I stayed pretty well on my game all through the weekend. I'm pretty proud of myself for it. I tracked everything I ate! I didn't end up getting any real exercise on friday or saturday, BUT I baked all day saturday, and I thought my feet were going to drop off by the end of it. I counted that as something. I was exhausted. And no, I didn't eat my baking, it was 2 orders of cupcakes, so no eating for me! ;) I went to hockey on sunday, as I planned, and it was a great time. We never ended up going to wing night on friday, because Casey was working late (yet again) but I did take my mom out for ice cream. AND there was no market on saturday, so no treats there either. I even ended up not slacking and did my daily house cleaning when I was supposed to, instead of leaving it all for one day.

Lets see how I do this weekend, with the wonderful Christmas market on saturday and I'm going to a cookie exchange on sunday evening, after hockey. Yikes, wish me luck!!

I'm not ready to tell you what my weight is, I don't think I'll ever be, but so far, since I started tracking with My Fitness Pal, I've lost 15 lbs and I've gone over and above my exercise goals of 'moderate exercise - 3x per week.' I'm really happy about that. I didn't lose any weight this week, but stayed the same. I guess that's better than gaining!

Weigh In Wednesday

Comments

  1. I stayed the same this week too. Better than a gain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count any week where you don't gain as a sucess so well done!
    I really need to follow your example and get back into a routine of exercising regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job going over and above your exercise goals of 'moderate exercise - 3x per week!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work on getting in exercise!

    I believe sugar addiction is a problem and until I started trying to eat clean, I didn't realize how much I was consuming or how addicted I was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right! We always say 'everything in moderation' but I think we have lost sight of what moderation looks like!

      Delete

Post a Comment