George R. R. Martin - A Storm of Swords

I have always wanted to review things on my blog, and I think that this is a great place to start.

The 3rd in the Song of Ice and Fire series A Storm of Swords.

I know I didn't review the first two, but you're just going to have to get over it. I read them. The first one was great, and the HBO series was very true to the book, in most aspects. The second season deviated a bit from the plot of book 2, but not much. I didn't like it as much, and I hated reading about Davos Seaworth. I'm not sure why. I hated Bran in the first book, because he was far too melancholy for my taste. Get over it.

If you haven't read this book, you should probably steer clear of this review.

It's going to contain spoilers. 

Casey, that means you.

The prologue contained a bit of a plot from some of the men of the Night's Watch to overthrow the Lord Commander and basically take off on their own. I really think that this should have been in the series somehow, because it would have explained why they killed him at Craster's keep. For all the people who only watched the show knew, they just killed him because they could.

Jaimie Lannister is now one of my actual favourite characters. Everyone said he would be eventually, but I didn't believe them, because he tried to kill Bran, and most of all, because of his incestuous ways. That most of all. But, after he returns to Kings Landing and is all lonely and abandoned, I start to feel for him. The cherry on top, is that he saves Tyrion. That's what made me love him. I also love that he is becoming less and less vain every chapter I read. I hope he really does do good with the rest of his life...however long that may be.


I have always found Lady Catelyn annoying. I don't even know why. She is rather intelligent, and Robb should have listened to her. Though, she freed Jaimie and that was foolish on her part. In the end, it got her and Robb killed, and lost the war...or did it? I am extremely anxious to read on and find out what is going on with her! Thoros of Myr to the rescue! Those Starks really are hard to kill!


Arya Stark is a fan favourite for sure. She is a little too 'doom and gloom' but she doesn't seem to have much going for her. I'm not even sure how I feel about her not killing the Hound. He was good to her, and good to Sansa, but was still hated. No good deed goes un-punished I guess. I'm not saying he was a good man, by any means, but I feel like she should have at least given him mercy. I'm extremely excited for her story to develop! I want to see the faceless man again! And what's the deal with Gendry? He obviously had feeling for her (in the book) and she shunned him, then she was all angry when he joined with Beric Dondarrion. In the show he is taken to Dragonstone with the Red Woman, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with him.


Tyrion Lannister is one of my favourites too. I always feel for him. He is extremely intelligent, but he is a pawn in his fathers game of 'bring honour to house Lannister.' I hate that everyone blames him for killing his mother. As if he had any part in that! I think he was very kind to Sansa to do what he did for her, and she wasn't exactly thankful to him at all. I feel like the series made him out to be more of a drunk than he was in the books though. He was also much uglier in the books than the show. The whole thing with Shae betraying him and sleeping with Tywin and finding out about Tysha was heartbreaking. I really believed Shae loved him. So much for that! I'm at least thankful that Jaimie set him free at least, though I'm not sure why he would tell him he did kill Jeoffery, when we are led to actually believe it was Littlefinger and Lady Olenna.


I don't have much to say about Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight,  other than the story line in the book/series was slightly different, but ended up at the same result.

I personally am beyond feeling bad for Sansa Stark. She had plenty of opportunities to escape. How stupid can you get? It seems that there is no character that is less capable of doing anything for her own well being as her. After finally escaping to the Eyre, I felt like something wasn't right. I knew it was too good to be true, even with the threat of marrying her to the little child lord Robert. I knew instantly what was going to happen when Littlefinger kissed her. What a slime ball. I wonder what he will think of his lovely Catelyn now?? Even more so, I wonder what Lady Catelyn will do to Littlefinger once she finds out what's going on in the Erye.

Jon Snow. Oh my. Well, I found his story line was much better in the book than in the series. I think they should have stuck to it more. There was no mention in the series of him being able to see through his wolf in dreams. Though, all the Starks, or most, seem to be able to do that. I hope that they do a good job with what comes next for him. I was quite sad when Ygrette died. I liked her. Well, I liked the book version of her more than the series, that's for sure. I felt sad for Jon, when he was offered Winterfel. But, knowing that most of the Starks are not, in fact, dead, he would never be allowed to keep it. For some reason, I had it in my head that he would become Lord Commander some day. I'm so glad that he found Ghost again! I was worried for a while! I'm excited for his story to develop even more. I'm also anxious to find out who his mother was! Lyanna Stark??


I don't have much to say about Sam. I like him well enough, and I think it was brilliant to come up with voting Jon to the position of Lord Commander. I wish they had introduced Cold Hands! I think he would have been fun!

Finally, Daenerys Targaryen. Who doesn't love her? I don't like how the series changed her story this much. Strong Belwas isn't even in the story, and she was introduced to Ser Barristen as soon as he showed his face. Whitebeard didn't even come into the picture. I didn't like that they made the Tyroshi so 'un-flamboyant.' I wish they had stayed true to that. Also, apparently the Titan's Bastard is dead, so they'll likely leave that whole part out. She was supposed to send Jorah into the sewers of Maureen as a punishment for his spying on her, but she still doesn't even know. Though, she sends him away at the end. I feel bad for Jorah. No one has been friend-zoned worse. I'm excited to see what happens with the plot here.

All in all, I favour the book plot over the series. It is a long read, but it's wonderful. It made me laugh, it made me very angry, it made me sad. I swear GRRM is doing what he does with the Unsullied...gives them a puppy and lets you love it for a year, and then makes you kill it. He also cuts off their man parts.

 I've already started the next book. Not sure what will happen when I finish the ones that are out...











Comments