Travelling While Pregnant

Because of where I live, there is always the need to travel to the 'mainland' for appointments/shopping/delivery. I normally look forward to getting off of the island for a day, eating at my favourite restaurants, and doing a little shopping before heading home on the late boat. A normal day trip from Grand Manan takes quite literally, the entire day. You leave on the first boat in the morning which sails at 7:30. Though you have to be there at 6:45 technically. If you come home on the late boat, it leaves at 9:00 sharp. So you're gone for more than 12 hours.

Anyway, it has become increasingly difficult to do these day trips. It's hard enough to get up so early because my rather frequent bathroom trips during the night. I can't really sleep on the ferry anymore. I used to be able to sleep very well on there. The catch is, I always slept only stomach and there is really no room for a big belly in behind one of those tables. So I eat and read and wait to dock. The drive to the city isn't bad anymore. The new highway is awesome and it only takes about 30 minutes or so.

My appointment is usually at 10:30 and only takes about half an hour or so, so I have the rest of the day to kill. I really could go home on an earlier boat, but I found that I need to get things done while I'm away.

We don't have anywhere to buy too many baby essentials on the island, so I feel the need to get as prepared as I can before Harper is born, because as much as it sucks to travel while pregnant, it would suck worse to get her home and realize I'm missing a bunch of really important things, and have to travel to the mainland with her to get them.

As you know from my previous posts, Casey and I went on a baby moon in October. So I seem to have gained quite a lot of experience with travelling while pregnant.

I wanted to compile a list of suggestions to make your life easier if you choose to travel while pregnant.

If you're travelling long distance (like in a plane):
- even if you book the window seat, give it to the guy in the isle. You're going to have to pee, and if that guy falls asleep it would suck for you!
- if you're flying for more than a couple hours, get up and walk around every hour or so.
- drink lots of water to stay hydrated. I know it will make you pee more, but nothing sucks worse than landing dehydrated and feeling miserable.
- if you're going to a resort, watch them make your drinks. I know it sounds paranoid but its totally true. They might ignore your 'non alcoholic' request.
- again, drink lots of water. Especially if you go somewhere super hot.

If you are travelling just for the day,
- make a list if you have things you need to get done.
- give yourself lots of time for extra bathroom breaks.
- stay hydrated.
- pack some Tylenol in case your back hurts or you get a headache.
- wear comfortable sneakers.
- layer your clothes. Hot flashes happen. You wanna be able to deal with them.
- bring a cell phone charger.

I think that's everything. If I forget something I will add it later.

Comments