Chocolate Cupcakes

I haven't been very active the last couple days on here. I tend to go into a sort of hibernation mode when I start my shifts. Happens to the best of us nurses.

I filled an order for Oreo cupcakes yesterday, so I thought I'd share my recipe for my basic chocolate cupcakes. I love this recipe, everyone has their favorite, and this is mine. I adapted it from one I got out of a cookbook I bought while on a cruise vacation on the Oasis of the Seas. They had an amazing little cupcake shop on the "Royal Promenade  deck and I enjoyed a cupcake decorating class with my hubby, as well as 2 other cupcakes, as it struck my fancy. But honestly, who sees a gourmet cupcake and says "nah, I'll pass," anyways??

Chocolate Cupcakes (Yields 24 Cupcakes)

Ingredients
2 Cup White Pastry Flour
1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Salt
3/4 Cup Milk (Curdled with a splash of white vinegar).
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter (Room Temp).
1 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
1/4 Cup (60 g. or 2 bakers squares) Semisweet Chocolate, Melted.

-Preheat oven to 350 F.
-Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
-In an electric mixer, combine butter and brown sugar until creamy. Scrape sides well.
-Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift your flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Its important to sift. :)
-In another small  bowl, combine milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
-Back to the mixer bowl, add your eggs to the butter/brown sugar mix one at a time, scraping sides and mixing well.
-Melt your chocolate on a small plate. I do this by putting it in the microwave on defrost  and watching it for about 3-4 minutes. If you take it out, and it is almost completely melted, just stir it until it is. There is a learning curve to this, a burnt my fair share of chocolate before getting it right.
-Add the chocolate to the electric mixer. Combine well, scraping sides.
-Alternate adding wet and dry mixes to the electric mixer, mixing well, scraping sides as you go.
-You should end up with a light and airy batter.
-Divide batter between the 24 cupcake liners. Some people have special ways of doing this, I just prefer to use a spoon. I've used this recipe so many times now, that I can eyeball how much to go into each liner. In my experience, unless you're using a super huge liner, fill the liner to the top.
-Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. You should be able to stick a toothpick into it, and have it come out clean.
-Cool for a couple minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
-Frost with your favorite frosting! Enjoy!

**Tip** If you're going to leave them for a day before serving, put a slice of bread into their container overnight. This will help them not dry out. DO NOT leave them on the counter overnight, uncovered. They will dry out.

**ALSO** The cupcakes in this picture are frosted with this Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting.

Comments